Synology DS1621+ DiskStation 6-Bay NAS Enclosure (Diskless)
Built with a quad-core processor, an AES-NI hardware encryption engine, and Btrfs file system support, the DiskStation DS1621+ 6-Bay NAS Enclosure from Synology is a high-performance system designed to store and protect critical assets, while also offering storage scalability so you can start small and expand as your data grows. Boost storage performance by installing dual M.2 2280 NVMe SSDs for high-IOPS system caching, or enhance network speeds by adding a 10GbE SFP+ or RJ45 NIC to the PCIe 3.0 x8/x4 slot. This NAS is equipped with six drive bays that are capable of natively supporting 3.5″ SATA hard drives, as well as 2.5″ SATA hard drives and SSDs, for data storage. Using its six drive bays, this NAS will allow you to store and share many files, including videos, music, photos, and documents with up to 2048 user accounts and 1000 maximum concurrent connections.
The DS1621+ runs on the Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM) OS, which is a browser-based operating system that helps to simplify managing your Synology NAS. Its CPU is a 2.2 GHz AMD Ryzen V1500B Quad-Core and its 4GB of DDR4 ECC RAM, which be upgraded to 32GB, allows frequently-used files and applications to be quickly accessed. The NAS is capable of sequential write speeds of up to 2300 MB/s, as well as 110,000 4K random read IOPS.
Also featured are three USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A ports and two eSATA ports which allow it to be connected to your compatible Windows or Mac system, and network connectivity is achieved via the four Gigabit Ethernet ports, allowing your stored data to be shared with users throughout the network. For those who require RAID support, the DS1621+ supports RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, and 10, as well Synology Hybrid RAID and Basic RAID, each of which offers performance, data redundancy, or a combination of both. For those who do not require a RAID, JBOD is also available, allowing each drive bay to be individually utilized.
The DS1621+ is engineered to be energy efficient. Not only does it offer two 92 x 92mm fans to help keep the system running cool, but it also supports numerous scheduled power on/off cycles and hard drive hibernation to further reduce power consumption and operation expenses.
The Synology DiskStation DS1621+ 6-Bay NAS Enclosure operates on 100-240 VAC at 50/60 Hz and includes an accessory pack, a power cord, and two RJ45 LAN cables. If you need to expand its storage, the DS1621+ can be connected to two DX517 expansion units. Protection is provided by a limited 3-year hardware warranty.
Versatility and Raw Power in a Single Solution
The Synology DS1621+ can be a multipurpose powerhouse, suitable for a wide range of usage environments. The compact, desktop form factor makes it easy to store away at home or in a quiet office environment.
- Up to 110,000 4K random read IOPS and 2300 MB/s sequential write speeds for demanding workloads.
- Dual M.2 2280 slots for NVMe SSD lets you maximize performance and capacity efficiently.
- Features 6 bays supporting both SATA HDD/SSD 2.5″ and 3.5″ drives, but can be expanded by using two Synology DX517 expansion units for a total capacity of 16 bays
- Powered by Synology DSM, their unified data management operating system.
Robust Data Protection with Btrfs
The DS1621+ uses the Btrfs file system optimized by Synology to offer both high reliability and high performance. Btrfs supports advanced storage technologies that meet the needs of modern business.
- Advanced snapshot technology provides schedulable and near-instantaneous data protection of shared folders and LUNs.
- File and folder level data restoration offers users who wish to restore only a specific file or folder more flexibility.
- Flexible Shared Folders and user quota system provides comprehensive quota control on all user accounts and shared folders.
- File self-healing allows Btrfs file systems to auto-detect corrupted files using mirrored metadata and to recover broken data using RAID configurations.
- Inline compression compresses data before writing it to the drive, to optimize storage use and reduce write commands to the drives.
Synology Collaboration Suite allows businesses to host their own fundamental IT services for file sharing, concurrent document editing, emails, instant messaging, and more. Create a multi-user collaborative environment while leveraging private cloud infrastructure to reduce privacy concerns. Multilayered security enables secure access to files and services, even for a distributed or remote workforce across Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS platforms.
- Synology Drive enables data access, synchronization, and backup via a web portal and desktop applications across Windows, macOS, and Linux platforms. Intelliversioning saves historical versions while minimizing storage space usage and supports on-demand data restoration.
- Synology Office includes Documents, Spreadsheets, and Slides. The online collaborative editing environment allows multiple users to edit, comment, and share data together.
- Synology MailPlus enables you to set up a secure, reliable, and private email server, with an intuitive web-based client to boost productivity.
- Synology Chat enables instant conversations and optimizes team communications with powerful features including message encryption, pinning, forwarding, reminders, and scheduling.
- Synology Calendar helps teams keep track of what’s important, with easy-to-use sharing and scheduling functionality, keeping everyone on the same page.
Running & Protecting Virtual Machines
Synology Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) is a hosted hypervisor that lets users easily set up virtual machines running Windows or Linux-based platforms and a virtualized version of Synology DSM, Virtual DSM, on the DS1621+. Using VMM, users can build up a cluster environment with multiple Synology systems for flexibility to perform online migration based on load balancing and resource allocation requirements. High-performance snapshots, replication, cloning, and recovery mechanisms enable comprehensive management and data protection on each VM.
DSM also simplifies the provisioning and management of storage for virtual machines. Certified for VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V, Citrix XenServer, and OpenStack, Synology systems can integrate with your virtualization platform of choice through iSCSI or NFS protocols. Install Synology Storage Console for VMware/Windows for additional management convenience and functionality right in the hypervisor.
Comprehensive Data Protection Options
The DS1621+ includes a range of backup solutions to protect local, remote, and cloud-based deployment environments, all-inclusive with the device. Easily set up automated backups and even enable self-serve functionality for reduced maintenance and upkeep.
- Back up data on Synology NAS: Snapshot Replication enables fast snapshots for point-in-time file versioning, which is great for rolling back unintended file modifications and protecting your data against ransomware attacks. Hyper Backup offers a wide range of destinations for backups of your NAS, including for both local and remote on-premises and cloud storage providers.
- Back up business infrastructure: Synology Active Backup suite is a collection of power backup solutions built to protect Windows systems and servers, VMware and Hyper-V VMs, other file servers, and even Google G Suite and Microsoft 365 SaaS clouds.
Private Video Surveillance
With Synology Surveillance Station, the DS1621+ becomes a powerful VMS solution. With support for up to 40 IP cameras, you can cover large installations.
- 7600 supported cameras and counting: Find a compatible camera from updated compatibility lists to match your video requirements and budget. ONVIF support prevents vendor lock-in.
- Private and subscription-free: Unlike cloud-based cameras, you can keep your recordings private and on-premises. Simple per-camera licensing with no subscriptions needed to access your data.
- Flexible monitoring & control: Access your surveillance system from a web browser, dedicated desktop clients, or from the DS cam mobile app. Internet-optional.
- Automation & notification: Set up rules to trigger specific actions when an event occurs, such as automatically taking a picture when motion detection is triggered. Get notified by email, SMS, or push notification so that you can act quickly.
- 6 x 3.5″/2.5″ SATA HDD/SSD Drive Bays
- 2.2 GHz AMD Ryzen V1500B Quad-Core
- 4GB of DDR4 ECC RAM
- 4 x Gigabit Ethernet Ports
- 3 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A | 2 x eSATA
- RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, Hybrid, and JBOD
- Sequential Writes up to 2300 MB/s
- AES-NI Hardware Encryption Engine
- M.2 2280 SSD & 10GbE Expansion Slots
- Synology DiskStation Manager OS