Synology DS1520+DiskStation 5-Bay NAS Enclosure (Diskless), 5-Bay 8GB DDR4
Built with a quad-core processor, an AES-NI hardware encryption engine, and Btrfs file system support, the DiskStation DS1520+ 5-Bay NAS Enclosure from Synology is designed for small offices and IT enthusiasts. Two built-in M.2 2280 SSD slots and Synology SSD Cache technology allow you to boost system I/O and application performance and, with a scalable storage design, you can start small and expand the storage capacity with the Synology DX517 as your data grows. This NAS is equipped with five drive bays that are capable of natively supporting 3.5″ SATA hard drives, as well as 2.5″ SATA hard drives and SSDs for data storage. The data stored on this NAS, which includes videos, music, photos, and documents with up to 2048 user accounts and 2000 maximum concurrent connections.
The DS1520+ runs on the Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM) OS, which is a browser-based operating system which helps to simplify managing your Synology NAS. Its CPU is a 2.0 GHz Intel Celeron J4125 Quad-Core that is paired with 8GB of DDR4 RAM, both of which allow frequently used files and applications to be quickly accessed. The NAS is capable of achieving sequential read speeds of up to 451.28 MB/s and sequential write speeds of up to 451.18.
Also featured are two USB 3.0 Type-A ports and two eSATA ports which allow it to be connected to your Windows or Mac system, and network connectivity is achieved via the four Gigabit Ethernet ports that support Link Aggregation and Failover, allowing your stored data to be shared with users throughout the network. For those who require RAID support, the DS1520+ supports RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, and 10, as well Synology Hybrid RAID and Basic RAID, each of which offers performance, data redundancy, or a combination of both. For those who do not require a RAID, JBOD is also available, allowing each drive bay to be individually utilized.
The DS1520+ is engineered to be energy efficient. Not only does it offer two 92 x 92 x 25mm fans to help keep the system running cool always, its noise-dampening design makes for quiet operations. The server supports numerous scheduled power on / off cycles and hard drive hibernation to further minimize power consumption and operation expenses. The Synology DiskStation DS1520+ 5-Bay NAS Enclosure operates on 100-240 VAC at 50/60 Hz and includes an accessory pack, an AC adapter, an AC power cord, and two RJ45 LAN cables. Protection is provided by a limited 3-year warranty.
Streamline Your Data Management Experience
The Synology DS1520+ is a powerful 5-bay desktop NAS that brings you a fast and smooth data management experience. Featuring four 1GbE LAN ports with network failover support, the DS1520+ provides 451.28 MB/s sequential read and 451.18 MB/s sequential write throughput with Link Aggregation enabled. The DS1520+ also benefits computing-intensive applications, speeding up Synology Drive and Moments by an average 16%, and boosting Web PHP response efficiency by about 126% as compared to its predecessor, making data management simple and efficient.
The DS1520+ comes with two built-in M.2 SSD slots with Synology SSD Cache technology. Random IO responsiveness can be boosted 20 times faster than spinning drives, with no need to occupy front drive bays. You can add up to 15 drives with two Synology DX517 expansion units for a higher storage capacity.
On-Premises Collaboration & Synching Solution
The DS1520+ comes with Synology Collaboration Suite, the productivity and file sharing solution that powers team collaboration while leveraging the advantages of the private cloud to fully control data and prevent data leaks — through HTTPS support, a built-in firewall, and multiple IP and account intrusion auto-blocking mechanisms.
- Synology Drive enables data synchronization and backup via web portal and desktop applications across Windows, macOS, and Linux platforms. Intelliversioning saves historical versions while minimizing storage space use and supports on-demand data restoration.
- Synology Office includes Documents, Spreadsheets, and Slides. Its online editing environment allows multiple users to edit, comment, and share company data simultaneously — at no additional license fee.
- Synology MailPlus is a reliable mail server, accessible through an intuitive web-based client, that helps users to manage emails and increase productivity. MailPlus supports deployment in High-Availability clusters.
- Synology Chat enables instant conversations and optimizes team communications with powerful features including message encryption, pinning, forwarding, reminders, and scheduling.
Full Backup Suite
The DS1520+ offers users a range of backup solutions for cloud and physical, on-premises environments. Backing up and restoring data is effortless and completely free of licenses on compatible NAS models:
- Back up your cloud data: Cloud Sync enables users to seamlessly back up or synchronize data between a local Synology NAS and other cloud services.
- Back up your PCs and servers: Synology Drive Client backs up your Windows, macOS, and Linux desktop devices to safeguard important computer files.
- Back up your Synology NAS: Hyper Backup offers a wide range of destinations for backups of your NAS, including on-premises and cloud.
Running & Protecting Virtual Machines
Synology Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) is an intuitive hypervisor application that lets users easily set up virtual machines and run operating systems including Windows, Linux, and Virtual DSM. With VMM, users can build up a cluster environment with multiple Synology systems while keeping the flexibility to scale out online and migrate virtual machines for load balancing and resource allocation. Disaster recovery features including instant snapshot, replication, cloning, restore, and failover help you fully protect each virtual machine and safeguard your digital assets at no additional cost.
VMM Pro licenses give access to advanced features including remote replication, remote storage migration, high availability, and live migration, helping users further minimize the risk of service downtime and manage IT resources with maximum flexibility.
Automated Surveillance System
With Synology Surveillance Station, the DS1520+ can act as a full-featured video surveillance system. Simply add network-connected cameras and you can monitor their live feeds, play back recordings, and receive instant event alerts right away.
- Works with more than 7300 IP cameras: Pick any compatible model that suits your requirements and budget, or use the LiveCam app to turn an old smartphone into an IP camera.
- No subscription fee: Unlike security cameras that require a monthly cloud storage subscription, all your recordings are stored on the DS1520+, 100% under your control.
- Remote monitoring and control: Access your surveillance system from a web browser, the desktop client, or the DS cam mobile app anytime, anywhere.
- Automation & notification: Set up rules to trigger specific actions when predefined events occur, such as automatically taking snapshots when motion is detected. Get notified by email, SMS, or push notification so that you can intervene in time.
- 5 x 3.5″/2.5″ SATA HDD/SSD Drive Bays
- 2.0 GHz Intel Celeron J4125 Quad-Core
- 8GB of DDR4 RAM
- 4 x Gigabit Ethernet Ports
- 2 x USB 3.0 Type-A | 2 x eSATA
- RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, Basic, Hybrid, JBOD
- Data Transfer Speeds up to 451.28 MB/s
- AES-NI Encryption
- Dual M.2 2280 NVMe SSD Slots for Caching
- Synology DiskStation Manager OS